THE VETERINARY RESEARCH INSTITUTE
The Veterinary Research Institute, located at Peradeniya in the central hills in Sri Lanka is the only national level organization of its kind, which is administrated by the department of Animal Production and Health under the purview of the Ministry of Livestock and Rural Community Development. The institute started as a diagnostic laboratory in Colombo in 1911 and was institutionalized in 1967. Since its inception, the institute is involved in production of vaccines against contagious animal diseases and carryout disease diagnostic, analytical and advisory services, in addition to the research activities in the livestock and poultry sector. At present, the institute has twenty-three scientists working in seven disciplines with a total staff of 187 in the administration, middle level and supporting staff.